How much does it cost to talk to a lawyer?
Most lawyers that we use cost around $300 to $400 an hour; with the average being approximately $350 an hour. This cost does ultimately depend on your personal situation. Costs can be discounted to a set fee. For example, for drink driving matters and other matters where one court appearance is all that is necessary.
Do you have to pay to talk to a lawyer?
Legal advice is free. … If you need help over the phone start by calling the free legal help line, LawAccess NSW, on 1300 888 529 (cost of a local call from within NSW). The person you first speak to won’t be a lawyer but they can point you in the right direction.
Do you pay lawyer upfront?
Yes, solicitors can ask clients for money in advance for their costs and disbursements. … However, your solicitor must put your money into a trust account until the money is spent in accordance with your directions. The solicitor should provide you with details of how this money is spent on your behalf.
What can my lawyer charge me for?
Your lawyer can charge you for a range of legal work that they do for you, including:
- phone calls or emails they make or receive about your case.
- the time they spend drafting documents for your matter.
- the time they spend reviewing your case and preparing for court.
- attending court on your behalf.
Can you haggle with a lawyer?
If you hire a law firm or an attorney for a project, you can negotiate the total amount of hours that the law firm can bill you to work for the completed work.
Can you ask a lawyer a question for free?
Ask A Lawyer is a free offering on Lawyers.com where consumers can ask legal questions and seek answers from our extensive network of attorneys. … Attorneys can spend as little or as much time as they want answering Ask A Lawyer questions. There is no commitment to a set number of questions to be answered.
How can I pay for a lawyer with no money?
Legal Dilemma: How to Pay for a Lawyer with No Money
- Start with Legal Aid Societies. Legal aid societies exist for one purpose: To give low-income people access to legal help. …
- Attend a Law School Clinic. …
- Reach Out to Your Local Bar Association. …
- Find Pro Bono Help. …
- Search Law Firms. …
- Go the Contingency Route.
How do lawyers bill you?
Many lawyers charge their fees on a time-cost basis. This means that they charge based on the amount of time they spend working on your matter. In most cases, this is set by an hourly rate. For example, a junior lawyer may charge $330 per hour, or a paralegal $190 an hour.
Can a lawyer keep you out of jail?
Your attorney will do everything possible to avoid a conviction; however, if avoiding a conviction is not possible your attorney will do everything possible to keep you out of prison.
Are lawyers worth the money?
Like any profession, lawyers are not appropriate or necessary in every situation, but they can be extremely useful and even necessary in certain situations. Many lawyers specialize and are knowledgeable in a particular area, so they can help you if you need representation or assistance in their area of expertise.
What is the highest paid lawyer?
Highest paid lawyers: salary by practice area
- Patent attorney: $180,000.
- Intellectual property (IP) attorney: $162,000.
- Trial attorneys: $134,000.
- Tax attorney (tax law): $122,000.
- Corporate lawyer: $115,000.
- Employment lawyer: $87,000.
- Real Estate attorney: $86,000.
- Divorce attorney: $84,000.